Fuel Efficiency, Alternative Fuels And Sustainability Earn Ford F-150 2016 Green Truck Of The Year Award
This article was originally published at The Ford Motor Company Media Center.
SAN ANTONIO, Nov. 19, 2015 – Green Car Journal today named the Ford F-150 its 2016 Green Truck of the Year™ at the San Antonio Auto & Truck Show.
The 2016 Ford F-150 – the toughest, smartest, most capable F-150 ever – includes the highest EPA-estimated highway fuel economy rating of any full-size gasoline pickup on the market, at 26 mpg. A segment-exclusive compressed natural gas/propane gaseous fuel prep package is available for 5.0-liter V8-equipped F-150 – helping reduce operating costs and tailpipe CO2 emissions.
“The 2016 Ford F-150 is a great example of the environmental leadership that can, and should, be accomplished in the immensely popular pickup field,” said Ron Cogan, editor and publisher, Green Car Journaland CarsOfChange.com. “Milestone lightweighting through the extensive use of aluminum and high-strength steel, the availability of a powerful and efficient 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6, and a segment-exclusive gaseous fuel prep option that enables the F-150 to run on clean-burning compressed natural gas or propane are all important contributions that raise the bar in environmental performance.”
Ford F-150 uses sustainable materials to help reduce its environmental footprint. REPREVE fiber, made from recycled plastic bottles, is available for F-150’s cloth seats. By using this recycled material, Ford will divert more than 5 million plastic bottles from landfills this year.
Other eco-conscious materials employed include rice hulls to reinforce plastic used in an electrical harness, fuel lines made from castor bean oil, seats made of soybeans and post-industrial recycled cotton – one 2015 F-150 uses shoddy that includes blue jean material, bath towels and/or T-shirt material.
“We designed Ford F-150 to be a game changer,” said Doug Scott, Ford truck group marketing manager. “Many have recognized F-150 as the toughest, smartest, most capable F-150 ever, but this award is proof it’s also a fuel-efficient, environmentally responsible option.”
Ford F-150, its groundbreaking technology and the engineering team behind it have won the following awards and accolades:
- 2015 North American Truck/Utility of the Year
- 2015 Motor Trend Truck Trend Pickup Truck of the Year
- Automobile Journalists Association of Canada Pickup Truck of the Year
- Automobile Journalists Association of Canada Utility Vehicle of the Year
- Detroit News 2015 Vehicle of the Year
- 2015 and 2016 Kelley Blue Book Best Buy Truck
- 2015 Kelley Blue Book Best Buy Overall
- Kelley Blue Book 10 Best Road Trip Cars of 2015
- 2015 Popular Science Automotive Grand Award Winner Best of What’s New
- 2015 MotorWeek Best Pickup Truck
- 2015 Detroit Free Press Truck of the Year
- 2015 New England Motor Press Association Yankee Cup
- AutoGuide 2015 Reader’s Choice Truck of the Year
- New Car Test Drive 2015 Truck of the Year
- 2015 Detroit News Reader’s Choice NAIAS Awards Most Innovative
- Automotive Science Group 2015 Best All-Around Performance Award Winner, Best Full-Size Truck of 2015, Smallest Carbon Footprint
- Urban Wheel Award for Urban Truck of the Year
- Green Car Technology Award™
- Edmunds.com 2015 Most Popular Awards – large truck category
- Detroit Free Press Automotive Leadership Award – engineering and technology category
- Greater Atlanta Automobile Media Association Best Pickup/SUV
- 2015 New England Motor Press Association Official Winter Vehicle of New England
- AAA Green Car Guide Award – pickup truck category (F-150 SuperCab Lariat)
- TFLtruck 2015 TFL Gold Hitch Award – half-ton/light-duty category (2.7-liter V6)
- AutoPacific 2015 Vehicle Satisfaction Award – light-duty pickup category (second highest owner score ever and highest truck rating ever)
- AutoPacific 2015 Best in Class Ideal Vehicle – overall winner
- Altair and Center for Automotive Research Altair Enlighten Award
- J.D. Power and Associates J.D. Power APEAL – large light-duty pickup category
- Consumer Electronics Show 2016 Innovation Award – Best of Innovation honoree in vehicle intelligence category for Pro Trailer Backup Assist™
- Vicentric 2015 Best Certified Pre-Owned Value in America™ – full-size half-ton pickup category